The Application Process
Q: What is the application process?
A: Applications should be submitted by 5 p.m. ET on Fri. Oct. 9, 2015.
A completed application has met the following requirements:
- Completed the Cox Media Group Digital Talent Program Application
- Minimum 3.2 GPA based on a 4-point scale or any scale analogous to a 4-point grading system. (Our program is open to college students who will graduate in May 2016 or students who have graduated within the last two years.)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- An original essay of 750 to 1,000 words, written by the applicant on the topic: Digital evolution is essential to the survival of our media business. How will you leverage your digital media knowledge and experience to drive business results at the CMG location(s) you selected?
- Brief video (maximum of 60 seconds) explaining why you are interested in the Digital Talent Program
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Multimedia work sample such as a video, website, mobile app or other digital project
- Open to relocation to one of the following locations (relocation fees provided):
– Atlanta, Ga.
– Miami, Fla.,
– West Palm Beach, Fla.
– Seattle, Wash.
– Tulsa, Okla.
- 18-24 month commitment to work in the Digital Talent Program role at your assigned location
Q: Whom should I ask to write my two letters of recommendation?
A: Secure letters of recommendations from two individuals who can write strong, letters highlighting your academic and/or professional experience, preferably those who can attest to the significance of your work in digital media.
Q: Should I include a multimedia project and what are some examples?
A: Multimedia projects should reflect your creativity. You also should be able to discuss how you selected and produced the multimedia project. Examples include a web site you created, a digital video project, digital storytelling for any medium, documentaries, slideshows or simulations. The work should be original, representing an idea that is your own. Collaborative efforts also are acceptable if it’s a project you managed that represents your concept.
The Review Process
Q: Who will review my application?
A: A cross-functional team of Cox Media Group leaders will review applications and recommend candidates who show promise as a digital leader. Managers at each of this year’s participating locations also will review your application.
Q: What happens after I submit my application?
A: Our Digital Talent Program review process has four stages:
- Stage 1: We review completed applications, including all submitted work samples.
- Stage 2: Candidates deemed qualified for consideration will be contacted for phone interviews.
- Stage 3: Selected candidates will be invited to Atlanta for interviews with a panel of Cox Media Group leaders representing the 2016 Digital Talent Program locations. Additional phone or Skype interviews may be conducted after the Atlanta panel interview day.
- Stage 4: Talent Program Manager Terrance Lockett extends formal invitation to 2016 Digital Talent Program participants
Q: Will I be required to submit an essay? If so what are the requirements?
A: You are required to submit an original essay of 750 to 1,000 words. Topic: Digital evolution is essential to the survival of our media business. How will you leverage your digital media knowledge and experience to drive business results at the CMG location(s) you selected?
Q: When will I know if I was selected?
A: Finalists will be contacted one to three weeks after onsite interviews.
Q: Will I be required to relocate?
A: The 2016 Digital Talent Program has locations in Atlanta, Ga., Miami, Fla., West Palm Beach, Fla., Seattle, Wash., and Tulsa, Okla. Relocation assistance may be available to applicants who meet certain requirements.
Q: What will my employee status be?
A: All program participants will be full-time, benefits-eligible employees.
Q: Will I be paid during my program project?
A: Yes. You will be paid by the hour and will be expected to keep track of hours worked.
Q: Do I have to be a U.S. citizen to be eligible?
A: No, you are not required to be a U.S. citizen to be eligible for the Digital Talent Program. However, you must be authorized to work in the United States.